Camrose has a relaxing small city feel with fewer than 20,000 residents.
Located 90 kilometers from Edmonton in central Alberta, Camrose is uniquely at the center of a transitory region of Alberta between the prairies and the boreal forest.
Nicknamed rose city because of the large number of wild roses that grow here naturally.
Around 1900 Camrose was first settled by early Europeans.
Back then it took a day to travel from Wetaskiwin to Camrose, along the railroad, so it was a popular place for pioneers to expand and homestead.
Most of the Europeans who homesteaded the land were from the Scandinavian countries and several came from the United States.
In the early 1900's Camrose growth was strongly linked to the railway since it connected larger cities like Edmonton, Calgary, and Vegreville.
In 1906 Camrose became and official town! In 1907 the Alberta Government Telephones agency set up the first phone in Camrose and by 1908 around 50 people had phones!
In 1955 Camrose graduated to city status. Although today the railroad system has slowed down, Camrose has continued to grow rapidly stretching out to Highway 13 and becoming a major stop for travelers along that road looking for a hotel like Le Chateau!
The Camrose Golf Course, first built in 1922, is an challenging 18-hole public golf course that offers all bells and whistles required by someone having fun ... and the golfer seeking additional challenges to their game.